For more than 10 years I've been researching, testing, and sharing work from home opportunities with fellow introverts.I created The Pay At Home Parent in February of 2018 to help you be a successful home-based business owner, blogger or side hustler.As a wife, mom and frugal homemaker, I make a full-time income on a part-time work schedule and I know that you can too!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Did you know that you don’t need to start a blog in order to make money writing from home?
I actually haven’t been blogging on my own for a very long time and I make money writing. For more than 3 1/2 years now I’ve worked from home as a freelance writer!
The funny thing is that I used to hate writing. Back in high school and college, writing any type of paper or short essay was something I never looked forward to completing.
I never knew where to start or how to word my thoughts.
The quickest I’ve ever written a paper was when I showed up to one of my college classes empty-handed. Unbeknownst to me, my professor switched the due date for a massive writing project.
He was the one professor that required projects to be turned in at 1 pm, which was about 3 1/2 hours after the start of his class period.
I skipped class that day, ran over to the computer labs, and wrote a 15+ page paper. I submitted the paper with only a few minutes to spare and later found out that I receive an A- on the paper!
All this to say, if you need to get something done (like making extra money) you can do it; even if you don’t love it!
How To Make Money Writing
I wish that learning how to make money writing was as easy as 1, 2, 3, but the truth is that there is more to it than just writing. There is the process of finding good clients and learning how to treat writing as a business.
I highly recommend taking an online course to help you succeed as a freelance writer. Holly Johnson grew her income to six figures as a freelance writer! She shares her strategy in her online course, Earn More Writing. Make sure to check out her FREE workshop. It’s designed to help you understand what it really takes to become a freelance writer and increase your income.
Make Money Freelance Writing Jobs
I enjoy writing so much more than I did in school because of freelance writing jobs. I can write anything I want (within reason and demand of course)! If I’m not interested in a subject, I don’t pick up the client or write on that topic on my blogs.
If you’re not interested in writing, don’t worry, it’s not for everyone. I have a list of immediate hire work from home jobs that will help guide you through other options.
If you do enjoy writing and you’re good at it, there is still a high demand for writers. You don’t have to be a fantastic writer to make money writing from home. Most publications have an editor that spruces up each submission before publishing!
You can check out these 18 places that pay you to write here. One pays as much as $2,000 for one accepted submission!
Related: How To Make Money Selling EBooks
Make Money Writing Articles
There are many places that allow you to make money writing articles. Here are a few to get you started!
- The Penny Hoarder (rate not listed) – a blog dedicated to sharing tips to make and save money.
- Freelance Mom ($75 to $100 per 900 to 1,500 word article) – “a community for moms who believe that women can still be who they are after becoming a mom.”
- College Humor ($35 for one page or $50 for longer articles) – a blog that claims to be “one of the biggest comedy sites on the internet.”
- The War Cry ($.35 per word) – a Christian publication that wishes to “bring people to Christ, help believers grow in faith and character, and promotes redemptive cultural practices from the perspective of Salvation Army programs, ministries, and doctrines.”
- Guide Posts (rate not listed but possibly $250 for 1,500 words) – “publishes true stories about people who have attained a goal, surmounted an obstacle or learned a helpful lesson through their faith.”
- The Sun ($300 to $2,000 for fiction and nonfiction stories) – The sun says, “Surprise us; we often don’t know what we’ll like until we read it.”
- Country Magazine (rate not listed) – reader-written country living magazine.
Tips When Pitching Topics To Make Money Writing
When you find the perfect place to pitch your topic, make sure to follow these simple tips to ensure your submission is accepted.
- Always read through the instructions. Publications want to see that you can follow directions from the start!
- Review the publication before pitching a topic. Be sure to understand their audience before accidentally pitching something unrelated.
- Check for spelling and grammar.
- Don’t spend too much time. Of course you want to get accepted, but not at the expense of spending half a day (or more) preparing. Also keep in mind that after you’ve pitched the first few topics, it will get easier!
Did you have a chance to review my 11 ways to make money if you’re in need of cash immediately? These are some of the quickest ways to make money when you’re in a pinch.
Make Money Writing Anything
You can make money writing anything (that’s in demand). Perhaps you want to jump right to and learn how to create your own Writer Website in a Weekend. This is another course by Elna Cain that will get you up and ready to accept clients quickly!
Do you make money writing? Are you thinking about trying? Let me know! I’d love to hear from you.