I created The Pay At Home Parent in February of 2018 to help you be a successful home-based business owner, blogger or side hustler. As a wife, mom and frugal homemaker, I still make a full-time income on a part-time work schedule and I know that you can too!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Did you know that you don’t need to start a blog in order to make money writing from home?
I actually haven’t been blogging on my own for a very long time and I make money writing. For more than 3 1/2 years now I’ve worked from home as a freelance writer!
And the funny thing is that I used to hate writing. Back in high school and college, writing any type of paper or short essay was such a huge pain.
I never knew where to start or how to word my thoughts.
18-24 year olds in the US can also join Pinecone Research to earn up to $5 per survey. They are extremenly exclusive, so act fast!
The quickest I’ve ever written a paper in my life was when I showed up to one of my college classes empty-handed. Unbeknownst to me, my professor switched the due date for a massive writing project.
He was the one professor that required projects to be turned in at 1 pm, which was about 3 1/2 hours after the start of his class period.
So I skipped class that day, ran over to the computer labs and wrote a 15+ page paper (on who knows what). I submitted the paper with only a few minutes to spare and later found out that I receive an A- on the paper!
All this to say, if you need to get something done (like make extra money, for example) then you can do it; even if you don’t love it!
How To Make Money Writing
I wish that learning how to make money writing was as easy as 1, 2, 3, but the truth is that there is more to it than just writing. There is the process of finding good clients and also learning how to treat writing as a business that are both essential to writing for money.
I highly recommend taking the online course Write Your Way to Your First $1k by Elna Cain. The course creator, Elna built her writing business from scratch so that she could stay home with her babies. She shares, “In less than 6 months, I was able to fully replace my salary while still being able to take care of my twins during the day.”
That’s where I was when I had my son! I wanted so badly to stay home with him and not miss his first bite of real food, first words, first steps, and first everything else. Maybe you’ve missed some of those firsts already, but you’re ready to get started to make up for lost time.
Grab a front row seat in Elna’s fantastic course and start making money freelance writing soon!
Make Money Freelance Writing Jobs
I enjoy writing so much more than I did in school because of freelance writing jobs. I can write anything I want (within reason and demand of course)! If I’m not interested in a subject, then I don’t pick up the client or write on that topic on my blogs.
If you’re not interested in writing, don’t worry, it’s not for everyone. I have a list of fantastic ways to make extra money that will help guide you through your options.
But let me tell you.
If you do enjoy writing and you’re good at it, there really is still a high demand for writers. You don’t even have to be a fantastic (perfect) writer to make money writing from home, because most publications have an editor that spruces up each submission before publishing!
You can check out these 18 places that pay you to write here. One pays as much as $2,000 for one accepted submission!
Make Money Writing Articles
There are quite a few places that allow you to make money writing articles. Here are a just a few to get you started!
- The Penny Hoarder (rate not listed) – a blog dedicated to sharing tips to make and save money.
- Freelance Mom ($75 to $100 per 900 to 1,500 word article) – “a community for moms who believe that women can still be who they are after becoming a mom.”
- College Humor ($35 for one page or $50 for longer articles) – a blog that claims to be “one of the biggest comedy sites on the internet.”
- The War Cry ($.35 per word) – a Christian publication that wishes to “bring people to Christ, help believers grow in faith and character, and promotes redemptive cultural practices from the perspective of Salvation Army programs, ministries and doctrines.”
- Guide Posts (rate not listed but possibly $250 for 1,500 words) – “publishes true stories about people who have attained a goal, surmounted an obstacle or learned a helpful lesson through their faith.”
- The Sun ($300 to $2,000 for fiction and nonfiction stories) – The sun says, “Surprise us; we often don’t know what we’ll like until we read it.”
- Country Magazine (rate not listed) – reader-written country living magazine.
Tips When Pitching Topics To Make Money Writing
When you find the perfect place to pitch your topic, make sure to follow these simple tips to ensure your submission is accepted.
- Always read through the instructions. Publications want to see that you can follow directions from the start!
- Review the publication before pitching a topic. You want to be sure to understand their audience before accidentally pitching something unrelated.
- Check for spelling and grammar. Yes, even check your pitch thoroughly. You want to impress the editor from the start!
- Don’t spend too much time. Of course you want to get accepted, but not at the expense of spending half a day (or more) preparing. Also keep in mind that after you’ve pitched the first few topics, it will get easier!
Did you have a chance to review my 11 ways to make money if you’re in need of cash immediately? These are some of the quickest ways to make money when you’re in a pinch.
Make Money Writing Anything
You really can make money writing anything (that’s in demand). And perhaps you want to jump write to and learn how to create your own Writer Website in a Weekend. This is another course by Elna Cain that will get you up and ready to accept clients quickly!
Do you make money writing? Or are you thinking about trying? Let me know! I’d love to hear from you.