If your kids love bubbles as much as my toddler does, get ready to blow their little minds with these magical giant bubbles! In the next few minutes, I am going to walk you through exactly how to make bubbles that will bring your family together for hours of fun.
I’m not talking about one of those big bubbles that escapes the bubble wand as you gently blow every bit of air from your lungs. No. I’m talking about huge bubbles that are bigger than your toddler! Heck, these bubbles can get bigger than you!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Looking to gift giant bubbles solution and wand to someone between the ages of 3 to 10+? You can get a complete kit here!
If you’re not convinced that giant bubbles will make your toddler to 10+ year old burst with excitement, let me be the first to tell you that they will love this fun outdoor activity.
If you’re using the best bubble recipe, even the adults sitting nearby can’t help but gawk at the anomaly of seeing giant bubbles jiggle through the breeze!
Keep in mind that blowing giant bubbles is not terribly easy for toddlers, though they will have a blast joining in on the fun.
I was happy to have just enough of these on hand to keep even the smallest bubble blowers happy!
BUT- that said, a patient kindergartner can play along and create giant bubbles with the rest of the gang.
Don’t let the first few (or many) fails discourage your kids from learning how to make giant bubbles! Even the smallest kids can blow the best bubbles.
I would say that the best age for really tackling the technique that gives you the biggest bubbles is probably going to be ages 9 to adult. But again, that does not mean that the younger kids won’t have just as much fun playing along.
Make sure to allow your toddler to POP some of those giant bubbles. What is the fun in blowing big bubbles if you can’t pop them?!
All in all, the excitement that this outdoor activity for kids incited was a strong 10 out of 10.
There was never a dull moment as we blew bubble after bubble for over an hour. That is – until the dog dumped our giant bubble solution (notice the unbearable guilt on his face).
How To Make Giant Bubbles
I could go on and on about how much fun we had, but that’s probably not what you’re here for! Let’s quickly go over the instructions on how to make giant bubbles solution!
Set aside 10 to 15 minutes to make your first batch of giant bubbles. The more often you make it, the quicker you’ll get!How to make the best GIANT bubbles recipe for hours of fun with toddlers to 10 year old kids!Click To Tweet
Giant Bubbles Solution Ingredients
There are hundreds of DIY bubbles blog posts, and many variables of how to make the perfect giant bubbles solution, but here are the exact 5 ingredients that I used that worked:
- 6 cups of tap water.
- 1/2 cup of Great Value Ultra Dishwashing Liquid (aka off-brand blue Dawn dish soap).
- 1/2 cup of corn starch (super cheap for Amazon Prime members / or available at Walmart).
- 1 tbsp of baking powder (also cheap for Amazon Prime members / or available at Walmart).
- 1 tbsp of Glycerin (or personal lubricant or white corn syrup).
Note that you can follow this same giant bubble recipe without glycerin. It just so happened that we had some Glycerin hanging around, though it’s not exactly a common household item!
How to Make Giant Bubbles Solution
- In a large 8 cup measuring container (with a poor spout!), dissolve 1/2 cup of corn starch into 6 cups of water.
- Mix in 1 tbsp of baking powder and 1 tbsp of Glycerin*.
- Slowly mix 1/2 cup of blue Dawn dishsoap (or an offbrand version) into the solution. Try not to create excessive froth on top of the mixture, though some is inevitable.
- Slowly pour the giant bubble solution into a container with a lid. I used an old, clear plastic juice container, but in hindsight, a large rectangle food container would have been ideal for gentle stirring.
- Allow the mixture to sit for an hour before using. I allowed my mixture to sit overnight since it was dark by the time I put it together.
- Gently stir the bubble mixture occasionally to remix the settling corn starch.
- To use: slowly pour the bubble mixture into a large rectangle food container for easy dipping.
*how to make giant bubbles without glycerin: I’ve read that personal lubricant or white corn syrup can replace the glycerin in your bubbles solution, but I have not tried either of these yet.
Your ready-to-use huge bubbles solution should look something like this when it comes time play:
How To Make Giant Bubbles That Don’t Pop
For strong bubbles that don’t pop, feel free to experiment with the ingredients and add more dish soap and or Glycerin (or personal lubricant or corn syrup) to the mixture. These two ingredients affect the strength of your bubbles. Take notes as you make each batch and in time you’ll have the a recipe for the strongest giant bubbles that don’t pop.
How To Make Giant Bubble Wand
But wait?! How will you create gigantic bubbles without a bubble wand?!
Let’s go over how to make a giant bubble wand with a few common supplies that you probably have somewhere in your home.
Items you’ll need to make a giant bubble wand:
Giant bubble wand instructions:
- Measure out different lengths of string for your bubble wands. We used lengths of 8 to 12 x the length of one straw.
- Thread one long piece of string through two straws.
- Tightly tie off your string to make one big loop.
If you don’t have straws on hand, you can also purchase some giant bubble wands right here.
When finished, your giant bubble wands should look something like this:
Now you’re ready to blow giant bubbles with the best bubble recipe!
Ideally, you’ll blow the best giant bubbles in a shady spot with just a slight breeze. Too much wind could pop your big bubbles while still air could leave your bubbles falling right to the ground.
Though we didn’t (and couldn’t) plan for the perfect day, we ended up with just the right amount of breeze in a nice shady spot to keep our bubbles from drying out in the sun!
Tips for Making Giant Bubbles
- Don’t skimp on the ingredients. If you want to have the best bubble recipe, make sure to include the right amount of each ingredient!
- Stay out of strong wind and sun. Your large bubbles will start to dry out and pop easier if they are exposed to too much wind and sun.
- Make one wand for each child (and adult!) and have at least one flat container of bubbles ready per 2 kids. In hindsight, the younger kids would have had even more fun blowing big bubbles if they each had their own bubble tray, but we also chalked this one up as a lesson on patience!
- Don’t let kids (or dogs!) accidentally step on the flat container of bubbles – it will all spill!
- Document your fun. Kids love to see themselves accomplishing something new, so be sure to take lots of pictures and videos! Though don’t be so engrossed in taking the best pictures that no one really has time to enjoy the bubbles. Candid photos are the best!
- Have fun with the kids. It’s well known that kids have the most fun when they see their parents joining in the excitement. So make sure to include the whole family for an afternoon of fun blowing massive bubbles!
- How to make strong bubbles without glycerin. Remember, if you do not have glycerin, you can substitute this ingredient with personal lube or corn syrup.
Have you made a bubble solution recipe for blowing huge bubbles yet? If so, share your experience in the comments! I would love to hear how you and your kids enjoyed playing together with giant bubbles!